Type 2 Right Start Ealing Group Education
What is Right Start?
This is a locally-developed structured education programme for patients with type 2 diabetes. It is also free to all patients with registered GPs in Ealing. Right Start has been successfully running since 2008.
The programme involves the diabetes specialist dietitians, podiatrists and diabetes specialist nurses from Ealing.
Right Start has been developed to help people with type 2 diabetes understand their own condition and increase their confidence in how to self-manage it. People with type 2 diabetes who meet the referral criteria below should attend Right Start.
Adults with type 2 diabetes who are:
- mobile (transport not available)
- able to understand English or Punjabi
- registered with a GP in Ealing
- motivated and able to commit to four sessions which last two hours
currently, this programme is only in English or Punjabi, but we hope to expand this to include other languages in the future.
Right Start aims to educate you on:
- What is diabetes and its management
- Possible complications of diabetes and their prevention e.g. foot care
- Diabetes is more than sugar control
- Healthy eating and diabetes
- Understanding food labels
- Physical activity and diabetes
- Local services
Choice of venues
There are four venues to choose from:
- Mattock Lane Health Centre, 78 Mattock Lane, West Ealing, London, W13 9NZ
- Greenford Methodist Church, Ruislip Road, Greenford, Middlesex, UB6 9QN
- Jubilee Gardens Medical Centre, Jubilee Gardens, Southall, Middlesex, UB1 2TJ
- Featherstone Road Clinic, Hartington Road, Southall, Middlesex, UB2 5BQ - sessions are only in Punjabi.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions about Right Start please contact the Diabetes Education Service:
Right Start Diabetes Education Service
Featherstone Road Clinic
Tel: 020 8383 5448
Fax: 020 8383 5893
The Diabetes Education Service accepts referrals made by both health professionals and patients directly.