Diabetes Education Structured for the Management of Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed Diabetes (DESMOND)
– Thoughts and feelings of participants around diabetes
– Understanding diabetes and glucose and what happens in the body
– Understanding the risk factors and complications associated with diabetes
– Understanding more about monitoring and education
– How to take control – Food Choices, Physical Activity
– Planning for the future
Newly Diagnosed module for patients up to 12 months post diagnosis.
Foundation module for those with established diabetes.
One day courses including Saturdays for 10-12 people with diabetes plus a partner, family member or friend.
Courses are run in Brent in Wembley, Willesden, Harlesden, Kingsbury and Kilburn.
For self-referral call 020 8453 5965 and speak to the Brent Integrated Diabetes Service DESMOND team.
The standard courses are run in English, but on-demand courses are also held in other languages such as Gujarati, Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Urdu and Arabic.
Courses are run in Hillingdon in Hillingdon, Hayes, Uxbridge, Ruislip and Northwood.
Tel: 01895 485 001. GP referral
For people who do not speak English or those with a disability or who are housebound, Hillingdon offers “mini” DESMOND,
providing a one to one session for one hour with a diabetes specialist nurse.